Sunday, January 23, 2005

Its gray and very cold and I've got an ear infection so I lay on my sofa this morning trying to put ear drops in (not as easy as it sounds) a blanket over me and Radio 4 on. Unfortuantly this week's Desert Island guest was Johnathan Miller. JM spent most of the 45 mins moaning how awful people were to him in his 70 years on earth. And any one who didn't appreciate JM was 'vulgar'. You would have thought that he'd spent the majority of his life tied down in basement eating wormeaten left over wormy potatoes instead of ...

'Jonathan Miller has been an influential and prolific force in British intellectual life since the 1960s. A writer, theatre and opera director and explainer of science to the public, he's had not one career, but several, and is seemingly capable of endlessly reinventing himself - as a scientist, a director, a television presenter, a writer, a film-maker and, more recently, a sculptor. Whilst still a medical student he received an invitation which changed the course of his life and career - to take part in a sketch show called Beyond the Fringe which was to go to the Edinburgh Festival. Jonathan was never to return to science full-time, as invitations to direct began to come in. He went on to become a leading theatre and opera director, celebrated for productions which included Tosca set in Mussolini's Italy and a mobster Rigoletto.This career alone would be regarded by many as more than sufficient, but Jonathan Miller combined it with making films and presenting television programmes. ' From the Radio 4 website.

Life has obviously given Jonathan a lot including the desire to make concrete scuptures but I'm afraid he had to moan about lacking the space for that too.

For F**K's sake yes you might have wanted even more of life but it might do you a bit of good to sit down and appreciate all that you did get.

~~
So here I am ear infection, headache, life doing its crazy course between rocks but I've had great experiences, created amazing things, met wonderful people, I have cool friends, I've got asprin in the kitchen, central heating, an unread novel from the library and even the ingredients to make apricot toffee pudding if I have the energy later. I also know I'll never be asked as a guest on Desert Island Disks with that twit Sue Lawley - another reason to celebrate if I didn't feel so billious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home